Friday, June 12, 2009

Investing in Others


That's what Allison Fracchia did. I took at job at Methodist Rehab Center in Feb. 2003 and worked there until July 2005. I thought I was going there to work mostly doing SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) PT and some clinical research. The research part didn't really get off the ground but I got interested in what Allison was doing in the wheelchair/seating clinic. She was evaluating and fitting people to custom manual and power wheelchairs that truly effected their daily lives. It was a lot to think about and a lot to learn. She took me under her wing and let me help and learn and eventually start doing them on my own. After that time with her, I sought a position to be able to do just that, which is how I ended up back at UAB doing it part time and part time outpatient PT. Thanks again, Allison for investing in me and for all you do for people. She doesn't cut corners. She thinks things all the way through and advocates for patients. This pic is from a recent trip to Cleveland, OH in which we with 80 other PTs were invited to a major manufacturer of wheelchairs to learn and give feedback. We went to a Cleveland Indians game while there.

1 comment: