Thursday, September 23, 2010

Synopsis of weeks 5-7



Here are some highlights of the last couple of weeks: Claire is now 7 weeks old and went for her 6-8 week check up. She weighs 9 pounds, 9 oz; is 21.5" long. She's in the 50% range for her measurements. She got her 1st round of shots and it was a tough blow for us all but she was resilient! She got 2 in each thigh and one by mouth. After a fussy afternoon, she was back to her "happy baby" self. She has lots of cute sounds and very strong legs and loves to check out her environment. She has the lungs to sing in the choir some day too! :)) She has survived watching her first MSU/LSU Football game. Big Daddy came to visit mainly to make sure she had some maroon and white to wear. She changed clothes at half-time to keep things fair. We conceded to the Tigers for the 11th year in a row! Hang in there Dawgs! Claire has been to church twice and slept through it both times. Nothing personal on the quality of the preaching, Buddy, we promise!

We were exposed to the big business of Consignment sales. Apparently twice a year a lot of Methodist churches put on big consignment sales and have good stuff. Claire racked up. We went with her YaYa to the one at her church and had a good time. I am learning, with the counsel of friends, how to shop and plan for a few months at a time to clothe your baby - don't forget baby GIRL at that. A whole new world!!!

We also had a first of leaving her with my mom for an afternoon/evening. So I went 7 hours without seeing her during the day! I took the hardest nap I've taken since she was born and the Jeff and I met friends for dinner. It was good in a lots of ways but we missed her. Better pray for me as I approach returning to work in 5 weeks.

I had my 6 week follow up with Dr. Gleason and Jeff and Claire went with me. He wanted to see the beautiful baby he'd been monitoring for 39 weeks but didn't get to pull out. His shift ended 5 hours before she was born. Great care at UAB. He wanted to know when the next baby was coming. I asked him to give us at least 6 months and we'd see after that! We'd love another one at some point but need to just embrace this one right now :)) So much to take in.

It's interesting the questions people ask at different stages...first it's how are you feeling and how is the baby eating when you first get home. Then people want to know how she's sleeping. So to answer that one, she takes about 4 45 min naps during the day and at about the 6 week mark, she slept through the night and has done so since. To God be the Glory!!! Two things happen on the night that first occurs: 1. I freak out because I'm afraid I slept through her crying for food; 2. When I realize she is fine, I sing the Hallelujah chorus with all other parents whose children are sleeping all night! Whooohoo!!! It still doesn't totally fix the last several weeks of interrupted sleep but we are on the road to clearing the fog.

She moved to her crib upstairs and loves it. Much better quality of sleep. Many thanks to Alisa and Heather for counseling me on how to help Claire improve her napping and my many other questions!

The Kellen ladies came to visit Claire. Gretchen (9) had been asking about Claire since she was born and made her mommy bring them to come visit. How cool is that? She helped paint the flowers on the wall in Claire's room.

Claire participated in her first 5k race last Saturday. She got to listen to me and my dear friend Lea Graves catch up as we walked. Lea is a friend that though we don't talk that often or see each other that much, we pick up where we left off each time. Got a friend like that? Call or email them and pick up where you left off!

So you saw the Gym membership card for Claire? Yes, she is a member on our family membership to the Hoover Rec Ctr. She can go to the nursery after 6 weeks of age and I can go workout for an hour. She checked it out a few days ago and already likes Margaret and April who work in there. She had to have her ID before entry. She's all set.

That's the summary on us. We continue to absorb this phase and it is going fast as everyone says. We try not to plan to do too much just to soak it in. We get outside a little each day and usually chat with a neighbor (that I didn't get much of when I was working full time!); we read, sing, and laugh each day. Anything over that is gravy! I get lots of time during feedings to ponder a vision for family life! Lord, give us a vision....Show me how to be the wife and mom you want me to be - in that order.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Cathy...can't wait to see you both! I'll call you today on my way to the 'ham :0)

    ReplyDelete